Holidays In Fiji
Fiji holidays are well known around the world for being the epitome of relaxation and providing a truly quintissential tropical island paradise. Comprising of 333 different islands (many uninhabited), Fiji allures holiday makers with its white sandy beaches, swaying coconut plams, pristine ocean waters and range of things to see and do. There is literally something for everyone, from those people looking for a secluded retreat where they can while away the days to the adrenalin seeker who is looking for the latest thrills and excitement. As for accommodation Fiji's resorts, hotels and backpacker hostels are amongst the best in the world.
Many tourists soon realise that a holiday in Fiji is second to none, which is why they keep coming back again and again. Visitors to Fiji can luxuriate themselves in 5 star island resorts, take a romantic stroll along a secluded beach, snorkel, kayak and scuba dive around the pristine coral reefs, whitewater raft along the mountain rivers or cruise around the remote outer Fiji Islands. Whilst you are on holiday in Fiji you really must experience the friendly atmosphere at one of the local Fijian villages and immerse yourself in this unique and beautiful culture.
History of Fiji
It is widely believed that the first inhabitants came to Fiji by boat around 3500 years ago and lived for many centuries by hunting and fishing the surrounding waters. The first western involvement with Fiji began in 1822 at Levuka, Fiji's first modern town. Soon after Christian missionaries followed and converted the then King of Fiji, Seru Epenisa Cakobau, to christianity in 1854. To this date the native people of Fiji are still deeply religious and plays an important role in Fijian society.
In 1874 Fiji began 96 years on British rule and for the next 37 years thousands of labourers from India where brought to the country in order to work. After many years these indentured workers were finally freed and this is why Fijian society today is currently made up of 2 different ethnic groups, the indigenous Fijians and the Indo-Fijians. On October 10th 1970 Fiji finally gained its independence from Britain and was allowed to govern itself.
How to Get to Fiji
There are a number of different airlines that fly to Fiji from various locations. These airlines include:
Air Pacific (with Qantas & American Airlines Codesharing arrangements)
- Fly direct to Nadi from Australia, New Zealand, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Vancouver & Honolulu.
- Fly direct to Nadi from Brisbane, Sydney & Melbourne in Australia.
- Fly direct to Nadi from Hamilton, Palmerston North, Wellington & Christchurch in New Zealand.
Air New Zealand (with a United Airlines Codeshare arrangement)
- Fly direct to Nadi from Auckland, Los Angeles & Rarotonga.
Things To Do In Fiji
Fiji is full of lots of things to see and do. From relaxation pursuits and family activities through to cultural delights and adventurous water sports Fiji really is a place with everything. Some of the many things that you can do on your next holidat to Fiji include :
- Local Fijians are some the friendliest people in the world and visiting a tribal village will give you a great sense of their culture and tradition.
- Relax with an indulgent massage.
- Watch the amazing sunsets over the azure waters of the Pacific.
- Take advantage of the child minding services and Kid's Club any many of the Fiji resorts.
- Go trekking across the unspoilt landscapes of the Fijian mountains.
- Go bird watching in the many National Parks and Reserves.
- Visit villages where tribal Fijians still live the traditional way of life.
- Experience a traditional kava session.
- Explore the caves on the Fijian islands.
- Go hot air ballooning and experience the magnificent views over the South Pacific.
- Enjoy shopping for a wide variety of handicrafts in Nadi.
- Snorkel around the coral reefs and be amazed by the abundence of marine life.
- Paddle in a canoe or go sea kayaking around the island reefs.
- Experience the thrill and adventure of a jet ski safari at Pacific Harbour.
- Go white water rafting down some the pristine rivers in Fiji.
- Learn how to scuba dive and then explore the coral reef with its clear water and myriad of colourful fish and coral.
- For the more adventurous scuba diver go night diving, wreck diving or cave diving.
- Surf some of the world famous waves along the Coral Coast.
- Go game fishing for marlin, tuna, mackerel and mahi-mahi.
- Experience what it is like to fly with parasailing.
- Go on a jet boat ride and for the adrenelin thrill of a lifetime.
- Take in all that the Fiji islands has to offer by cruising around them on a yacht.
- Take a day cruise from the mainland to the outer reef or one of the many remote islands.
With literally something for everyone, Fiji is the perfect holiday destination for all dreamers, lovers, adventurers, thrill seekers, divers, backpackers, families and anyone who is just looking for a tropical experience that they will remember for the rest of their lives.
Recommended Fiji Accommodation
About Holidays Fiji
If you want hotel and/or resort accommodation in Fiji at cheap rates for your next holiday then Holidays Fiji is the place for you. We give holiday travellers the ability to compare a range of hotels, resorts and apartments at the same time, thus making it easier for you to decide where it is that you want to stay. The accommodation on Holidays Fiji ranges from luxury beach front resorts and honeymoon suites through to budget backpacker rooms and family friendly apartments. So book your accommodation at any of the Fiji resorts with confidence, and even take advantage of the cheaper rates for longer stays.